The cloth face masks described below comes from guidelines as published by the Victorian Government.
What do you need to make a homemade face mask?
- Outer layer 1 piece (25 cm x 25 cm) Water-resistant fabric (polyester / polypropylene)
- Middle layer 1 piece (25 cm x 25 cm) Fabric blends (cotton polyester blend / polypropylene)
- Inner layer 1 piece (25 cm x 25 cm) Water-absorbing fabric (cotton)
- Earloops 2 pieces (20 cm each) Elastics
Step-by-step instructions for making a face mask
1. Cut out the outer layer, middle layer, and inner layer pieces. Place the outer layer on the bottom,
the middle layer in the middle, and the inner layer on top.
2. With the inner layer facing up, fold over 1 cm of the three pieces of material for the top and bottom edges and stitch at the borders.
3. With the inner layer facing up, fold over 1.5 cm of material for the side edges and stitch.
4. Thread a 20 cm piece of elastic, string, or cloth strip through the wider edge on each side. Use a safety pin or large needle to thread it through.
5. Knot the ends tightly or stitch them together.
6. Put on the mask with the outer layer facing away from your face. Adjust the mask to make sure it fits tightly over your nose and mouth.
7. If you want to improve the fit of your mask you can add a nylon stocking over the mask and tie at the back of the head.
If you are unsure about how to make a mask using cloth – please click here to download the PDF published by the Victorian Government.